Fall is the best time for fresh, red delicious apples. Did you know:
- The Red Delicious apple is considered “America’s favorite snacking apple” and has been the number one apple in the country since the 1940s.
- The fruit has a “crisp, fine-grained texture and a mildly sweet flavor.”
- The fruit was introduced in Peru, Iowa in the 1800s and was originally known as the Hawkeye apple.
- Red delicious apples contain pectin, which is a beneficial fiber that reduces cholesterol and slows glucose metabolism in diabetics. They also contain potassium, which may reduce your chances of having a stroke.
- You can use lemon juice to keep sliced red delicious apples from browning
Thanks to our friends at http://www.specialtyproduce.com for the apple fun facts!
- Country-style bread, sliced 1/2″ thick
- Red Delicious apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- Horseradish mustard (or other spicy, grainy mustard)
- Melted Butter (optional)
- Preheat a panini grill to medium-high heat, 375 degrees (if you don’t have a panini grill, you could make this like an old-school grilled cheese).
- Arrange apple slices in a single layer on one slice of bread. Top with cheese. Spread a generous amount of mustard inside another slice of bread and place (mustard side-down) on top of the cheese. If desired, brush a little melted butter on top for extra crispness.
- Grill panini for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden grill marks appear.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!