This week, the three major retailers in Las Vegas are advertising Hass avocado sales in their circulars:
Smith’s: $1.00 each
Vons: $1.25 each
Albertsons: $1.49 each
Using iPriceMatch.com, I found avocados at La Bonita for $0.25 each!!! Since I don’t live near a La Bonita, I’m going to take advantage of this price by using the price matching policy at my local store!
So, let’s talk avocado!
According to the California Avocado Commission, the aguacate (or avocado) originated in south-central Mexico between 7,000 and 5,000 BC but wasn’t introduced in the United States until 1871.The most popular variety, the Hass, was discovered in the 1930s and patented by Rudolph Hass in 1935.
California produces about 90% of the avocados in the United States. They have a year-round growing season and, on average, a single tree produces about 150 avocados per year!
Avocados are often touted as a “super food” due to their incredible nutritional value. Each avocado contains nearly 20 essential nutrients including Vitamins K, E, C and B6, potassium, folate, and monounsaturated fats. Avocados can be a great addition to any heart healthy diet.
But, let’s not forget the most important thing about avocados….they are DELICIOUS!
Enjoy this simple recipe from the owner of the original Hass avocado tree, Rudolph Hass. This was his favorite way to enjoy avocados.
Hass Family California Avocado Everyday Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 4 cups chopped iceberg and romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roasted
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1/3 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- Prepare creamy avocado dressing in advance by using a blender to blend all ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl, toss together iceberg and romaine lettuces. Toss with dressing. Divide equally into 4 serving bowls.
- Top with celery, tomato, walnuts, avocado and green onion. Serve.