- 3 tbsp. olive oil (pantry item)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced ($0.25/pack)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped ($0.18/lb)
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander, paprika (pantry items)
- 1 carrot, diced ($0.33/lb)
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped (not on sale, but very affordable)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped ($0.78/lb)
- a handful of parsley, chopped ($0.50/bunch)
- salt & pepper to taste (pantry items)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped ($0.35/lb)
- 4 cans black beans ($0.57/each)
- rind of one orange, several large peels ($0.14/lb)
- juice of above orange ($o.14/lb)
- 6 cups hot, boiled long-grain rice, white or brown ($0.50/lb)
- Onion, cilantro and/or lime wedges, for garnish if desired.
In a large dutch oven or soup pot, saute onions, garlic and spices in oil over medium heat, stirring until onions are translucent.
Add carrots and celery, saute for 3-4 minutes more.
Add peppers and saute another 5 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, parsley and tomatoes.
Simmer until vegetables are tender.
Add the beans and the orange rind.
Simmer on low for about 30-45 minutes. Stir often.
Remove orange rind.
Stick blend the soup until it is at your desired thickness (or, remove a cup or two of soup to blender; blend, then add back to soup)
Add fresh orange juice and cook 5-10 minutes more.
Serve on hot rice. Garnish with chopped onion, cilantro and/or lime wedges, as desired.
The Rest of This Week’s Great Deals:
90% Lean Ground Beef – $2.69/lb
Boneless Chicken Breast – $1.39/lb
Brawny Pick-a-size Paper Towels, 6 pack – $4.99
Cauliflower – $0.50/lb
Cucumbers – $0.12/ea
Family Orchard Cranberry, Apple or Grape Juice, 128 oz – $1.99
Herbal Essences Hair Products, 5.7-10.17 oz – $1.79
Garlic, 3 pack – $0.25/package
Grape Tomatoes, 12 oz – $0.99/ea
Milk, Viva Gallon – $2.59
Orange Juice, 64 oz store brand – $1.67
Oscar Mayer Bacon, 16 oz – $3.50
Parsley Bunch – $0.50/ea
Pineapple, Fresh Whole – $0.99/ea
Red Bell Pepper – $0.78/ea
Red Onion – $0.33/lb
Sliced Lunch Meat, 16 oz store brand – $2.99
Sour Cream, 16 oz store brand – $1.25
Spinach, Fresh – $0.50/bunch
Top Sirloin Steak – $2.99/lb
Yoplait Yogurt, 18 pack – $4.99
Visit iPriceMatch.com for the details on these items and more!